This Lobster Claw Cable Messy Bun hat is literally my favourite thing right now. I love the colour, the texture, the style, the look…. Here is the pattern for you. I also made a removable pom pom for those days when I don’t want it to be a messy bun hat. Instructions for this here.
You will need:
- DK yarn. 100gms is more than enough
- 4mm curricular knitting needles or double pointed needles
- Cable needle
- Darning needle
Cabled Messy Bun Hat
Cast on 80 (small), 90 (medium) or 100 (large) (for various sizes. I wear the largest size, and my 10 yr old niece the smallest size)
(Knit 1, purl 1) repeat this rib pattern for 12-16 rows (your preference of brim size)
You can use a Knit 2, Purl 2 pattern on either the small or the large size.
6 row repeating pattern-
Row 1-5: Knit 8, purl 2
Row 6: Cable row: 2 on cable needle to the front, knit 2, knit 2 from cable needle, 2 on cable needle to the back, knit 2, knit 2 from cable needle, purl 2.
Small: Repeat rows 1-6 5 Times
Medium: Repeat rows 1-6 6 Times
Large: Repeat rows 1-6 7 Times
Complete decrease over the next 6 rows.
- Knit 3, k2 tog, knit 3, purl 2 – repeat over the row
- Knit 2, k2 tog, knit 3, purl 2 – repeat over the row
- Knit 2, SSK, knit 2, purl 2 – repeat over the row
- Knit 5, p2 tog – repeat over the row
- Knit 1, CDD, knit 1, purl 1 – repeat over the row
- CDD, purl 1 – repeat over the row
Cut yarn. Thread elastic through remaining stitches and tie to create a stretchy loop for the hair. I have a lot of thick hair, and I prefer this method for the top of the hat.
And here it is with the removable Pom-Pom.