We had a morning tea at work with the theme “Royal Baby Shower” and I made this Red and Blue Velvet Union Jack Cake.
250g nonsalted butter, softened
3 cups (660g) white sugar
20ml red food colouring
20ml blue food colouring
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 cups (375g) plain flour
1 cup (250ml) cultured buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon white vinegar
For the Icing
500g cream cheese
500g icing sugar
250g butter, softened
Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 35 minutes Assembly: 60 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a loaf tin and a shallow cake tin with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift cocoa and add to mixture.
3. Add flour alternately with buttermilk. Add vanilla and salt.
4. Separate the batter into 2 bowls. Colour each batter.
5. Divide batter into prepared tins. The blue goes in the loaf tin, and will take an extra 10 min to cook (approx), the red goes in the shallow pan. Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool.
When completely cool, slice the blue cake into 4 (2×2)
Layer the cakes….
Place a thin red cake with blue either side.
Cover the whole cake with icing to hide the colours. Then it’s a surprise as cut…